I've been trying to work out how to get a copy of Windows XP to run in a VM at work – not that I actually want one as such, but it's useful to have for those Word documents that OpenOffice won't open, and for the occasional website that requires IE. The machine I'm using was supplied with Windows, and has an XP license sticker on it, with a license key. This would seem, on the face of it, to be fairly straightforward.
After some digging, I arrive at what seems to be the relevant place on our internal systems services website. We apparently have a site license for Windows and Office for the whole organisation. This is good. The MS Campus Agreement allows me to install Windows and Office on a University PC, which is what I want. So I follow the link for "Installation Instructions"…
I've just had an email from a professional firm about some work I want them to do. The email breaks down as follows:
… you need to use your strimmer. On the patio.
That is all.
I've set my preferences on your system to not receive marketing mails. Therefore, it seems strange to get an email from your marketing manager telling me this fact, which I know very well, and telling me that I could get all sorts of marketing mails if I signed up for them.
After a few weeks of negotiations, and another couple of agonising weeks of waiting for the paperwork to come through, I've been formally offered a job at Reading University's ACET group, working on a project called VERA. Initially, I'll be doing work on cross-database searching with peer-to-peer software, although there's a big bunch of other things that need doing... 3D visualisation, semantic web, usability, and open-sourcing an established piece of software.
I've just seen this on nmg's blog.
Copy the list, bold the ones you're read. Underline the ones you loved. Put the ones you're going to read in italics. Marvel at how far you still have to go. Act all concerned over the fact that the average person has only read 6 of these.
At work, I've recently taken up managing the codebase of GridSAM. Part of this involved arranging and moving a whole load of patches from one svn repository (maintained internally) to another (the SourceForge site). Subversion on its own isn't all that good at this, so I started using quilt to manage the patches. The workflow goes something like this: